Ferndale Bowls Club is a great place to bowl, socialise and generally have a good time all year round → it is a family-friendly home-away-from-home.
The Club is open on Saturday afternoon (13:45), Sunday morning (08:45) and Wednesday afternoons (13:45). Practise can be arranged as suits you as the greens are open all the time. We offer free coaching to all (by arrangement), normally hosted on Saturday mornings, contact us to find out more.
- For 2016 the annual Club Fee is R2,000, which includes the Affiliation Fee.
Over the year (52 weeks) this works out to R38.46 per week, or R12.82 per Tab Day (at 3 tabs per week).
- Tabs include free tea or coffee and green fees.
- Visitors more than welcome for Tabs at a nominal cost of R15.00, which includes the green fee and a tea or coffee at the end of play.
Bowls is a very affordable sport, and offers great companionship and competition.
Dress Code & Equipment
Saturday afternoons: Whites or club colours
All other days: Casual comfortable attire
Flat soled shoes or takkies / trainers. Shoes may not have a heel as these damage the greens. If you just want to practice, some souls play barefoot.
If you are a beginner we have plenty of bowls on-hand that you can practice with. Our Saturday morning coaches (sessions by appointment) will help you to find the right size bowl for your hand before you invest in your own set.
Events and Tournaments
The Johannesburg Bowls Association (JBA) League runs from November to February. Both Men’s and Ladies’ teams are entered.
We are also available to host corporate days which can include bowls as a team-building activity.
The club can be hired for private functions by the members on request → birthdays or anniversaries for example are popular.
Beverages and drinks are available at the Club.
Regular Club Events
- Our annual St. Paddy’s Day evening;
- Quiz afternoons and evenings;
- Themed Dinner Dances;
- Internal Club Competitions;
- Tournaments to suit all bowlers
- Twilight Pairs
- Mens’ Fours
- Ladies Triples (to name a few)
- Regular Fun Days open to everyone
Annual Club Championships
The categories are:
- Novices (bowlers playing for 3 years or less)
- Men’s Open Singles (all ages, includes Novices)
- Ladies’ Singles (all ages, includes Novices)
- Men’s Senior Singles (over age 60)
- Ladies’ Senior Singles (over age 60)
- Men’s Pairs (all ages, includes Novices)
- Ladies’ Pairs (all ages, includes Novices)
- Mixed Pairs (one of each gender, all ages, includes Novices)
- Club Singles (all genders, all ages, includes Novices)
- All tournaments arranged by the JBA
- All tournaments arranged by Bowls South Africa
- The Warwick Bowls Men’s and Ladies’ Nationals
- The President’s Cup
- The Tower Novices (open to all novices)
- The Champion of Champions Tournaments (entrants need to have won their respective club competition)
Our Current Committee
We look forward to welcoming you to Ferndale Bowls Club.